Thursday, December 11, 2008

The chassis

A few years back we blew up the transmission, and blew it up again and 2 more times before we got it right. The tranny is the not so strong L480E (strong for a 3000# Corvette, but not an 18,000# MH.) I'm not sure what it's designation is now but I think it's called a L485E...maybe. We replaced the rear planetary with a forged "made in USA" gear set with 5 pinions. I'm not sure if I'm calling this stuff by the right name but the tranny has hauled us 10,000 + miles without a hitch. This whole incident led me to look over the whole system and here's what I did...
Re-gear the rear end from a 4.63:1 to a 5.13:1
Install a Gear Vendors over-under drive.
Re-balance the drive shafts (3) and re-angle them due to resonance caused by the gearvendors being longer than the original tranny.
Add 2 leafs to the rear end and put new coils up front (no more airbags)
Install Bilsteins all around including the steering damper
Install a Banks power system (headers, intake, etc)
Re-tune the main computer (tweaks to tranny shift points, fuel mix, etc)
And upgrade all the tires to a G load rating.
This thing hauls now. I don't understand why motor home companies do all this work to put a MH on a chassis and then all you can load including yourself if a measly 1000 pounds. That doesn't make any sense.
This is another one of those posts I'll have to break out to separate posts to really explain what I did.

No comments: